Community in the Classroom

Today I am back writing about how I might use community in the classroom. For my unit, I have been asked to incorporate community into my classroom. I really think that is a really neat component and it allows students to see the big picture in their work and to realize that it, in fact, applies to the real world.

My unit is based around the power of political propaganda in the Holocaust. I want my students to understand the power of the media and how our words really do have power. My students are playing roles as Jewish families, where they will be giving their artifacts to the Holocaust museum that wants to open a new wing dedicated to personal experience.


The students would collect various products showing that they understand the historical content and the connection to propaganda, which would be shown at a gallery walk night open to the community. Students would be able to explain their work, which is a great learning experience for both! The event would be set up like a museum exhibit, so the students would be able to experience the role they were given.


If community was not involved, students would not have a desire to create presentable work. It also lets the community know what's going on in school and how our students are learning. I come from a small town, so community is something I value. I do plan on including community in my teaching career, as it is vital to student growth.


Here are the standards that the community involvement connects to:



Standard #10 Collaboration
The teacher seeks appropriate leadership roles and opportunities to take responsibility for student learning, to collaborate
with learners, families, colleagues, other school professionals, and community members to learner growth, and to advance
the profession.

10 (e) Works with school colleagues to build ongoing connections with community resources to enhance student
learning and well being.

10 (g) Uses technological tools and a variety of communication strategies to build local
and global learning
communities that engage learners, families, and colleagues.

Lastly, here is my action plan for how I would want it the community involvement to go down as of now. We learn more and become exposed to new ideas, so that could very easily change!


Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wise Teachers

Final Practicum Reflection

Student Teaching Portfolios