Embedded Formative Assessment

For my class on Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment, my classmates and I were asked to join the twitter conversation. Aside from the really cool things I learned in the book, I thought it was really cool to connect with my classmates to see what they were posting about the chapters along the way.

Here's the link to my twitter feed to check them out: @emkessel.

Chapter 1:  This chapter touched on teacher quality and how it's the backbone for the education system. In order to increase teacher quality, we need to provide support and feedback to our teachers. In the book, they talked about the presumed thought that replacement was the way to increase teacher quality. I believe that we should support our teachers in schools with continuous training, to create a more even playing field for all of our students to benefit.

Chapter 2:  This chapter touched on professional development and teaching styles. Professional development opportunities allow educators to open their eyes to new ideas and methods that could potentially benefit their students. This fall, I attended three different professional development conferences and learned many cool things that I was able to apply to my learning in my practicum block. The chapter also discussed formative assessments and how we use them to further our teaching path and student learning. How can we figure out what our students know, and what can we do to help them?
Chapter 3: This chapter really made me think about how we, as teachers are presenting things to our students. As educators, we sometimes forget what it is like to be a student in the classroom. This chapter is reminding us to write instructions that are accessible to students. "Several research studies highlight the importance of students understanding what they are meant to be doing," (Wiliam, 2018, pg. 58). I talk about these expectations in terms of rubrics and how we should make them so students can understand and meet our expectations. I applied this to my own learning and how all students would do better if they were able to understand what the teacher is expecting them to learn and achieve. Here's an article that I thought fit what I wanted to stay about appropriate learning intentions.

Chapter 4:  Many students come to class with no background knowledge and many misconceptions, especially in history classrooms. This chapter gave insight into how we might provide activities to see how our students think and answer critically. In order for our students to think critically, they need to be actively engaged in our content. As teachers, most of the questions we ask are "closed-ended" and only have one correct answer. We need to provide questions that encourage students to think hard to reach higher order thinking. By giving a wait time, we are allowing students to question and reflect. At a presentation I recently attended at the MAMLE conference in Northport, ME, I learned how the pedagogy of waiting change a local teacher's career both as an educator and a parent. Many people think teachers are coaches, but by waiting and listening we are proving to be supported for our students to enhance their learning. I learned to wait, listen and reflect as a teacher to better myself for my students.

"'Listening is the best way to learn. You have to listen to those who you are supervising,' (Serwer, 2010). What matters is how you listen."

Chapter 5:  This chapter was all about feedback. I thrive on feedback, because how can we improve ourselves if we do not know what to improve on? As a student, I always actively awaited feedback (which probably annoyed a lot of teachers along the way). In Dr. Theresa's class, we have been working on methods to give our peers appropriate feedback. I taught a lesson a few weeks ago in my placement where I was able to apply my feedback to the students, so they can improve and grow as students. When students get papers back that is covered with a red pen, that does not make them feel good no matter how good of feedback you think you might be giving. Now, we are to act as coaches in terms of feedback so we can provide students with feedback that moves learning forward. As I discussed moving learning forward, we should think of feedback as "feedforward", as it progresses student success. Here's an article that I think fits in with feedback and how we might use it as educators. 


Here's the three stars and a wish feedback model shown on my last blog post about Wise Teacher resources.
Chapter 6:  In practicum, we talk about how we might promote group work to enhance collaboration among our students and what that might look like. This chapter talks about assessment and how to seek help with other peers before asking the teacher. C3B4ME is a model in which the students seek help from three other peers before coming up and asking the teacher for assistance. Another method discussed is called "three stars and a wish", where you give two positive things that the student did and then one wish/wonder that the student could improve on.
Chapter 7: 
As teachers, we are asked to continuously reflect on our experiences. Most commonly, we are self-reflecting on our units and lessons. What went well? What did not go well and what can I do as the educator to improve for next time. I really liked the philosophy behind the learning portfolios. Instead of presenting a student's best work, the student is reflecting and adding the newer better work on top of the older workers to show student growth. I reflect upon lots of experiences, especially my journey to become a teacher. Every day in the field, I reflect on what went and what did not go so well and what can I do to learn from it. This has been a powerful resource for me as I am learning something new every second of every day. I loved being able to reflect on going to several IEP and 504 plan meetings and to see how that might change a perspective and to ponder thought in the educators to become more inclusive in their planning. The last page of the chapter goes into detail about learning
logs and how students can use that model to reflect what they have learned. Personally, I would go digital that method and have students submit it to me on a forum like google forms so I can see the responses and what the students know and/or what they might need help with. It helps me provide the support my students deserve, giving everyone equal access to my general education curriculum.

This was a great book to explore how we might create formative assessments to best benefit our students. Everything we do is for the students and I think it is important to make sure we are teaching and assessing in ways they understand.

For Dr. Theresa's class, we needed to post a tweet for chapters 3-7. I mentioned earlier how I was able to connect with my classmates via hashtags. We did that by using the hashtags: #assessment, #EDU223 (our class), and #standard6 (Maine common core teaching standard for assessment).

I recommend this book for in-service teachers, as well as those looking to go into teaching. It will change the way you perceive student understanding and how you might change your assessments to best fit their needs. Find the book here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wise Teachers

Final Practicum Reflection

Student Teaching Portfolios