Exploring Google Apps in History

After exploring the Innovation and Success center at Mt. Blue, we were asked to explore various google apps and how to tie them to our units that we are creating. One of the major assignments for the semester is working on a unit from our content areas. After reading and exploring various google applications, I figured out how I could use google draw as a part of my unit. 

For our units, we were asked to pick a topic in our concentration areas. I chose to form a unit around the Holocaust for 7th grade social studies students. In many of my classes, I have been learning on how to make a lesson engaging and meaningful. 

One of the learning tasks for my unit was to have my students create a blueprint for their own secret annex after listening to Anne Frank over read aloud. After creating the blueprint, the students would then create their team's secret annex using cardboard and other various art materials to create a birds-eye view of their product. Each student would write a short reflection on how they believe it may keep them safe. 

On google draw, you can play with many shapes and colors to create a successful floor plan that is clean and concise. It allows students to drag and place their shapes, as well as expand them and change the colors. The only concern I had was that there were not many options for the shapes, but I think that students would be able to use their creativity with what google provides. This is a great activity for visual learners who are able to understand content and material better by using pictures and colors. Google draw also saves the product to your google drive, so the students do not have to worry about continuously saving their work or worrying where it might go. 

I think that this would work well with students, as they are able to use their creativity. First, I would have students brainstorm what components make a place safe. During class, I would allow for fifteen minutes of brainstorming as a class and contributing ideas. The rest of the period would be for students to seek help, work together to create a plan. Each group would have a set of guidelines to help them succeed. I hope it would take around a class period for the students to work together to create a floor plan that meets the criteria. That would transition into the next class period where the students would have to get feedback on their floor plans, critique if needed, and begin creating the bird-eye view of their own annex. The room would be filled with students working together and asking questions and to me, that is a healthy learning environment.

There are other amazing educational tools that could work for this unit, but after trying out a few, I think that google draw would be the most engaging and purposeful for students. I have to keep myself in mind, meaning if I get bored watching a slide show, students probably will too! 

Emily 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wise Teachers

Final Practicum Reflection

Student Teaching Portfolios