Wise Teachers

In EDU 223, my classmates and I were asked to contact three of our favorite teachers. For me, that task was easy. I had some of the most amazing teachers throughout my schooling experience and I could not be more thankful for the experiences I had in their classes.

The first few weeks of the school year is busy and overwhelming for everyone, so I was not expecting immediate responses. After a few days, I got two responses back from some of the most amazing teachers I had at Camden Hills. I was so excited to hear back from my teachers and for them to know how much of an impact that they have had on my life both as an individual and as a future teacher. For this project, we were asked to request some resources related to curriculum, assessment, and instruction, in which I got some amazing professional development tools in return.

Last weekend, I got the chance to review the materials that I received over email. All of the materials and advice was truly amazing and I am so excited to keep looking for more to better myself as a future educator. One of my former teachers that got back to me also teaches social studies, which conventionality happens to be my concentration, so I got some great materials that will help me shape units and lessons.

Social Studies: 
I was recommended to go check out  Facing History and Ourselves  and I discovered lots of lessons that I could picture myself using in one of my units. Right now, I am working on my unit for the Holocaust and they have a ton of helpful lessons about the Holocaust right on the website that I have been sifting through to further consider potential great ideas. The educator who gave me that website says that she uses it for teaching strategies and materials, but adjusts the lesson to the needs of her students.

Another great resource is Stanford History Education Group "SHEG" . They also have some great materials. It is free to make an account and you have access to some really awesome lesson plans. I also found some great materials that I can modify for my Holocaust unit. I am focusing on propaganda for the Holocaust and I came across a really awesome lesson about Nazi propaganda. You can also view powerpoint presentations for each lesson, as well as the lesson plan. They are both free for downloading. All social studies concentrations should check these sites out, they are really great tools!

Teaching Methods and Ideas: 
I was given great personal advice from both of my awesome high school teachers about listening to the students and understanding their needs. Much of what they both had to say was content that we have been covering in Dr. Kate's Inclusion in the Classroom class where we are continuously discussing how to meet the needs of our students. It was great to make that connection.

EDUTopia has lots of helpful resources on teaching methods, as well as articles to help with professional development as an educator. I recommend you all to check this out.

I was also recommended any book written by Carol Ann Tomlinson, which really helped this educator understand what differentiation is.

One of my former teachers also provided me with two book links that will help you learn and grow as an educator, both available on amazon. Check out the Skillful Teacher and The First Days of School: How to be an Effective Teacher . This educator uses schoology where she can engage in conversations with other teachers about ideas and challenges.

I would recommend for you all to check out these great tools from some of my favorite teachers. Make sure to check out my twitter feed for my social media shout outs about my wise teachers. One last thing recommended was pinterest, in which I adore!

I look forward to seeing what my peers have to share so we can all benefit from each other and grow as educators. Thank you to my teachers for these great resources. It's teachers like you who teach for the student and make an impact on our lives, so thank you.

Emily

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Practicum Reflection

Student Teaching Portfolios